I thought so.
Since today is such a special occasion (one definitely to be celebrated!), I thought I would re-introduce my homemade chocolate ice cream to you. Have I mentioned yet that this requires no ice cream maker??? My sweet friend Heidi is the one who got me started on this ice cream craze, and since I made it the first time, my husband won't let the freezer be without it. In other words, he doesn't want there to be a night that he is craving it, and alas, the freezer is empty! That would just be unacceptable! Because of this, I have made this ice cream quite a few times, and it is safe to say it is a winner in this household!
I wanted to spruce the ice cream up just a little bit by throwing in some homemade Rocky Road Cookies this time, because, let's be honest here; everyone loves a little cookie crunch in their ice cream. Or is that just me? I don't know. Tell me if I'm not the only crazy one here okay? Don't tell me if I am. Thank you.
These two recipes are such simple ones, and really very quick to make. I made both of these in one day, and even got the pictures the same day! That's how fast the ice cream freezes (well at least the outsides). I am telling you guys, if you haven't made this ice cream before, go out and buy the ingredients and make this today! It's the perfect occasion, remember???
Instagram today. PS, if you want to find me there, I am @carlasconfections. I hope it got you interested and wanting to check the post out today :) So I want you to go out today, and celebrate this food holiday by getting the ingredients to make the easy homemade chocolate ice cream, and top it off with your favorite cookie, or if you're feeling ambitious, make my rocky road cookies!
But most of all, Happy Chocolate Ice Cream Day everyone!!!!
for the ice cream:
- 300g/1 cup + 1 Tbsp cream/heavy whipping cream
- One 400g/14oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 cup sifted cocoa powder
- One 150g/5oz bar good quality chocolate, roughly chopped
- Extra chocolate from bar to make about 1 Tbsp melted chocolate (can also use chocolate chips)
- 1 1/8 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 heaping cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened (I used salted)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- handful of nuts of choice (I used sliced almonds)
for the ice cream:
- Using a stand or hand mixer, whip cream until it holds stiff peaks, about 5 minutes.
- Fold in condensed milk in batches until fully incorporated
- Fold in cocoa powder and melted chocolate
- Fold in chocolate chunks
- Freeze in a freezer-safe dish and stir every 45 minutes to break up the ice.
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F. Line a baking sheet with baking/parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda and cocoa powder. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, cream butter and both sugars. Add egg, vanilla and salt until combined.
- Slowly add the flour mixture until fully incorporated.
- Stir in the marshmallows and nuts.
- Bake on baking sheet 8-10 minutes. Leave slightly softened.
- Break up when cooled into ice cream or eat by itself.