I cant seem to live in places where it doesn't rain 364 days of the year. Growing up in Nevada, and being bone dry all year, I always wanted to live somewhere a little bit humid. Did you hear that? A LITTLE bit humid, not 100% humid, like all the time! I blame my husband. That's where my blame always seems to land. Sorry about that honey.
I am certainly getting used to the humidity (even spending just a few days in Reno is torture now with how dry it is), but I wouldn't mind it being sunny and warm now. I would like to go for a run without looking like I went swimming in my clothes. Or go for a run at all. Wait. Scratch that. I want cookies instead.
Speaking of cookies, can you even believe I haven't baked in my new kitchen yet?! I know! Neither can I. And I would love to this upcoming week, but tomorrow, I am headed to Portland for a week to spend some time with my wonderful SIL (sis-in-law) and perfect niece, and my mom! My mom planned this trip a while back to spend some time with her grand-daughter and I figured it would be a great time to crash the party and join them. It might be a while before I get to see my baby niece again, so I didn't want to miss the opportunity.
I am also a little worried about what Matt will be eating while I am gone... As much as we enjoy cooking together, he isn't one to enjoy cooking on his own. I worry a little. I am going to have to make big batches of his favorite meals that he can warm up on his own.
I would make some of this pesto for him, but I just cant handle the idea of him eating it without me. That is just unacceptable! I'll make more when I come back from my trip for both of us to enjoy.
I have a recipe coming up Tuesday to accompany this pesto, so stay tuned! UPDATE: You can see that recipe here: Arugula Pesto & Bacon Grilled Cheese. And just note that the walnuts are really a strong flavor in here, so feel free to add less walnuts or bump up the garlic or parm cheese, but this is such a tasty pesto recipe, and I promise you're gonna want to see what I use it for on Tuesday! But until then... Happy Friday and have a great weekend! What are your plans? Feel free to call my lonely hubby if you're in the Vancouver area ;)
makes about 1 1/2 cups pesto
- 1 (5 oz) bag arugula
- 1/8 cup heaping walnuts, toasted
- 2 large cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (more if desired)
- freshly ground black pepper, and kosher salt, to taste
- enough olive oil to make into a paste consistency, at least 5 Tbsp, more if desired
- Toast the walnuts on the stove top over medium high heat for a couple minutes, being careful not to burn them.
- Add the walnuts, arugula, parm cheese, salt and pepper into the bowl of a food processor or a blender.
- Grate the garlic or chop it finely to avoid any large chunks of garlic in the pesto. Add to food processor.
- Put on the lid of food processor, taking out the stream pour feed tube, and turn on food processor. Pour in the olive oil until it reaches desired consistency.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge.