Yep I'm one of thooooooose people...
You should run while you can.
Before you go, let me tell you about my spritzer.
And maybe I'll give you a reason to stay.
Or a thousand more reasons to run. I'm hoping for the former. Humor me ok?
So, in my house at all times here are the drinks at hand: water (duh), orange juice, milk (for Matt's coffee), tea bags, coffee, Gatorade, diet coke and sprite (and we won't talk about the alcohol problem I have. Ahem, 4 bottles of wine, 3/4 gone vodka, plus other random bottles of hard liquor. Ahem!)
I was going somewhere with that, but now all I can think about is having a glass of wine!
Oh, right! I know I need to be better with kicking my soda drinking habit, but sometimes a girl just wants something to drink other than water!
I have been trying to be better about it with putting lemon in my water, which definitely helps! But last week, I just needed a soda. And I wasn't feelin' a diet coke, and definitely not a plain sprite (sprite is more for Matt, not me).
Enter Strawberry Spritzer!
The hardest step is pulverizing the strawberries with the food processor (or blender, or potato masher, or whatever you have on hand).
And you have a summery drink that even the kids will love.
And the best part is that you can make a kid friendly version, and then you can make another version with champagne, vodka, or other alcoholic drink that fulfills your heart's desires.
Blended strawberries, lemon juice, sprite and ice is all you need for this one. And you can blend/break up the strawberries until they are as liquefied or chunky as you like.
Then, of course, add alcohol of choice if desired to make an adult friendly version.
I give you permission :)
Just don't mix up the kid and adult versions. That would be a bad idea.
So if you are having a BBQ this summer, make sure to
makes 2 spritzers
- 1 (12oz) can of Sprite, or Diet Sprite
- 1 1/2 cup chopped strawberries, plus extra for garnishing
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- Place chopped strawberries (with stems removed) and the lemon juice into the bowl of a food processor, blender, or any other mashing tools you have, and blend on high until strawberries are at the desired consistency. The longer you pulse, the more liquefied it will get.
- Place ice in two 8 oz cups
- Divide the strawberry-lemon mixture among the two cups, and pour sprite over the strawberries.
- Use a straw to stir together, and garnish with extra strawberries, if desired.
- You could use a potato masher, or fork to mash the strawberries, but the strawberries will be much chunkier.
- You could replace some or all of the sprite with champagne or sparkling wine to make an adult version
- You could add 1oz vodka or other hard alcohol of choice to make a adult version.
Looking for more summer BBQ recipes? Look no further!
Grilled BBQ Chicken Pizza
Apple and Berry Sparkler
Creamy Artichoke Dip
Pulled Pork Sandwiches with Chipotle Coleslaw
Homemade Ranch Dressing