When I am having a busy week, there is nothing better than throwing something in the crock pot and letting it do its thing all day, and coming home and having an almost ready-made dinner! This recipe is one of those that doesn't take much effort at all, and man you cant beat the flavor the chicken when its been slow cooked with the bones, skin, and best of all, homemade Barbecue Sauce!
I found this recipe from Pioneer Woman, and immediately knew that I had to make it, with a few slight adjustments.
Homemade Barbecue Sauce. Also, don't pay attention to the horrible pictures. I didn't know the beauty of having a nice lens and food photography yet. I will re-post my BBQ sauce soon with better pictures :) You want enough Barbecue Sauce for the chicken to be swimming in it. I also added about a Tablespoon of water to thin it out just slightly. I'm glad I did too, because it reduces a lot as it cooks all day.
I turned my crock pot on LOW for a couple hours, then I changed it to HIGH, and it cooked for a total of about 5-6 hours before I started shredding the meat.
Once all the meat is off the bones, and its shredded to your desired consistency, place it back in the slow cooker and turn it to LOW just to keep warm until you are ready to serve!
Pioneer Woman's Cilantro Slaw. We have eaten this on multiple types of bread already, and all of them are winners! The slaw is a must do for this recipe! It truly is to die for, and I promise you will never not make this slaw again! It is by far the best I have tasted!
Slow Cooker Barbecue Chicken Sandwiches | Printable Recipe
- A whole chicken, cut up, skin on
- One whole brown onion, sliced
- 6-10 cloves of garlic, as desired
- roughly 16oz Homemade BBQ Sauce, or favorite store bought kind
- 1 Tbsp water, to thin out sauce
- Baguette bread, crusty rolls, or other desired bread, to serve
- Pioneer Woman's Cilantro Slaw, or other coleslaw, to serve
- Brown just the outsides of the chicken in some oil over medium high heat.
- Add browned chicken to crock pot and pour off excess oil. Add the sliced onion and garlic to pan and cook for a couple min, until slightly browned. Don't burn the onion and garlic.
- Add to slow cooker along with barbecue sauce. Cook on HIGH for 5-6 hours, until the meat is falling off the bones.
- Carefully and thoroughly remove all of the bones and cartilage from the chicken, and shred any meat that is bigger than you desire it to be. Remove the garlic if you wish.
- Place the shredded chicken back in the crock pot and turn on LOW and keep warm while you make the coleslaw and assemble sandwiches.
- Place on the bread, and top with coleslaw and serve warm.
slightly adapted from Pioneer Woman