The hubs and I were talking this weekend about how when you are in school, all you want to do is be out of school and just working, that way when holidays come, you don't have any homework to do. You can just relax and do nothing.
I wish that was the truth haha! Instead, we spent our holiday weekend cleaning our place, working (well me anyway), getting stuff done around here that is way past due (like hanging a giant mirror), and other un-fun grown up stuff.
But we did get to do some other things that was relaxing as well. We took our photo walk, and I took some fun pictures, and Matt took a video of the walk and edited it together. I posted it on my facebook page for people to check out. It was a lot of fun to explore a little bit, and even better that yesterday was a sunny day. Those are rare around here.
Although I will never be able to deny an awesome BBQ Chicken Pizza, or eating some Chocolate Cupcakes, sometimes, you just need something healthy in your life.
Matt and I have been trying to incorporate a little more healthy in our diets. Definitely not all the time, and most certainly not every meal, but here and there we are. And this Quinoa recipe was right on the money with that.
I only used one small head of broccoli in here, because it was all I had, but I'm going to write in the recipe to use more. And same with the kale. I would have used more if I had it. I think it could have used a bit more greens to quinoa ratio, but either way, this dish is a real winner and it will be in our meal rotation for sure!
What's your favorite way to prepare quinoa?
Kale & Broccoli Quinoa | Printable Recipe
- 1/2 cup dry quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 3/4-1 cup water, to cook quinoa (you could also cook in broth to give more flavor)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4-1/2 cup chopped red or yellow onion (to preference)
- 2 cloves garlic, grated into pan
- 1/3 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 medium or large head of broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 bunch kale, leaves removed from stems, and broken into bite size pieces
- salt and pepper to taste
- parmesan cheese, for garnish
- lemon juice, if desired
- Cook the quinoa in a medium pot to package directions, until tender and liquid is absorbed
- In a saute pan, heat the olive oil over medium high heat and add the chopped onion. Cook for a couple minutes until translucent (don't let burn), and add the garlic grating it straight into the pan. Stir for a minute, not allowing to burn, and add in the broth.
- Rinse off the broccoli and kale and add them both to the pan with onions, garlic and broth. Reduce heat slightly and cover. Let cook for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the broccoli is tender and kale has shrunk. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add quinoa and veggie mix to a serving bowl and mix together. Garnish with parmesan cheese and eat warm.